The old money aesthetic men’s outfits has gained significant popularity as a trend, and I find it captivating and strive to incorporate it into my style. While often referred to as quiet luxury, the old money aesthetic encompasses more than just pieces with minimal branding. It represents a timeless and opulent style that symbolizes high society. Additionally, the aesthetic carries a sense of nostalgia, drawing inspiration from style icons like Jackie Kennedy and Princess Diana, glamorous destinations like the Hamptons and Lake Como, and iconic brands such as Ralph Lauren and Hermés.
Even if one doesn’t have the means to dress like the elite, it is still possible to achieve the old-money aesthetic style.
Old Money Aesthetic Men: History
For centuries, there has been a distinction between “old money” and “new money” among the wealthy. Old money refers to generational wealth and signifies an elevated social class, while new money represents individuals who have recently acquired wealth and may display it ostentatiously.
Unlike countries with nobility or aristocracy, the United States lacks formal titles or hereditary social hierarchy. As a result, a measure of old money status can be based on how long a family has been in the country or whether they have a connection to the American Revolution, indicating a distinguished lineage.
Old money is associated with subtle style and class, as exemplified by the Roy family in the TV show Succession. They never flaunted their immense wealth but dressed in understated luxury.
Achieving the look of old money does not require flaunting expensive clothing. Rather, it is about displaying a subdued and classy image. Neutral colors and light shades contribute to a leisurely and sophisticated appearance, as opposed to dark professional tones.
When it comes to building a wardrobe, investing in a few high-quality clothing items can be more impactful than purchasing numerous cheap shirts and trousers.
What is the Old Money Aesthetic?
The Old Money aesthetic embodies a sense of understated elegance, contrasting with fleeting trends and fads. It embraces timeless classics that are designed to withstand the test of time. Quality is paramount, with a strong emphasis on both the choice of materials and the craftsmanship of the items. Old Money interiors typically exude a warm and inviting atmosphere, prioritizing comfort and relaxation.
The Old Money Aesthetic for Men: A Timeless Style Guide
The ‘Old Money Aesthetic’ for men is a fashion trend that embraces a refined and sophisticated style, reminiscent of the traditional elegance associated with generations of wealth. This timeless aesthetic emphasizes quality craftsmanship, understated luxury, and a sense of heritage. In this post, we’ll explore the key elements of the old money aesthetic men’s wardrobe, including style tips, popular brands, and essential wardrobe pieces.
- Key Elements of Old Money Aesthetic:
- Timeless Elegance: The old money aesthetic prioritizes classic and enduring styles over passing trends.
- Neutral Color Palette: Opt for neutral and earth-tone colors, such as navy, beige, brown, and gray, to exude a sense of sophistication.
- High-Quality Materials: Choose garments crafted from fine materials like cashmere, wool, linen, and high-quality cotton for their durability and luxurious feel.
- Tailored Fit: Invest in well-fitted clothing that flatters your body shape and exudes a polished and put-together look.
- Understated Details: Focus on subtle and refined details, avoiding flashy logos or excessive embellishments.
- Essential Wardrobe Pieces:
- Tailored Suits: Invest in a few well-tailored suits in classic colors like navy or charcoal gray, ensuring they fit impeccably.
- Crisp Dress Shirts: Opt for high-quality dress shirts in neutral tones or subtle patterns, paying attention to collar and cuff details.
- Timeless Outerwear: Invest in a well-made overcoat, a classic trench coat, or a sleek leather jacket to layer over your outfits during cooler seasons.
- Quality Footwear: Choose handmade leather shoes or loafers in classic styles like oxfords or brogues, as they add a touch of sophistication to any outfit.
- Versatile Accessories: Complete your look with understated accessories like a quality leather belt, a classic wristwatch, and simple, elegant cufflinks.
- Brands Embracing the Old Money Aesthetic Men:
- Ralph Lauren: Known for its preppy and classic designs, Ralph Lauren offers a range of clothing and accessories that embody the old money aesthetic.
- Brooks Brothers: With a rich heritage and timeless designs, Brooks Brothers is a go-to brand for tailored suits, dress shirts, and refined accessories.
- J.Press: This heritage brand specializes in traditional Ivy League style, offering classic tailored clothing and accessories.
- Burberry: Renowned for its iconic trench coats, Burberry combines timeless elegance with modern elements, making it a staple in the old money aesthetic.
What are the main characteristics of Old Money Aesthetic Men?
To grasp the essence of the Old Money Aesthetic Men, here are their key characteristics:
- Color Palette: Emphasizes bright colors like white, light blue, or rose.
- Quality Fabrics: Utilizes high-quality materials such as linen, cotton, cashmere, silk, and wool.
- Sweaters: Frequently incorporate sweaters as a staple garment.
- Sporty Attire: Includes sporty clothing that would be fitting for a golf tournament.
- Logo Avoidance: Steers clear of designer logos, prioritizing a discreet display of wealth.
- Elegant Accessories: Incorporates accessories like hats, silk scarves, and gloves to add an extra touch of refinement.
Best Old Money Aesthetic Men’s Brand
Kiton, a renowned Italian brand, holds a prestigious position in the world of Old Money fashion. It is widely recognized for its impeccable suits, often donned by global leaders. However, Kiton’s repertoire extends beyond suits. They have gained recognition for their tracksuits and sweatsuits, which have emerged as alternatives for affluent individuals post-pandemic, seeking a departure from the traditional suit and dress shirt attire.
2. Cesare Attolini
Cesare Attolini is a prestigious brand favored by both old money and individuals with refined taste. Founded by Vincenzo Attolini, the brand spearheaded a modern cut of suits that continues to be revered as the pinnacle of Italian sartorial fashion. Cesare Attolini offers a wide range of products, including sweaters and suits. 2Men is recognized for curating an exceptional collection of Cesare Attolini clothing available for sale.
3. KNT: Old Money Aesthetic men
KNT, also known as Kiton New Textures, is a prestigious Italian luxury designer brand celebrated for its sporty textures and models. Distinct from the other brands mentioned, KNT embodies a more sporty style. It is worth noting that classic menswear, as a general trend, has gradually transitioned towards a more casual aesthetic. KNT stands out by employing a wide range of intriguing fabrics and offering limited and special-edition clothing pieces.
Santoni, a distinguished brand recognized within the community of the ultra-rich, is renowned for its exceptional craftsmanship. Primarily focused on the production of boots and sneakers, Santoni’s handmade artisan techniques result in sneakers of unparalleled quality. These sneakers have gained tremendous popularity worldwide. At 2Men, we take pride in offering Santoni sneakers, which hold a special place in the wardrobes of billionaires seeking a business casual look.
5. Brunello Cucinelli
Brunello Cucinelli, undeniably an old money aesthetic men’s brand, enjoys widespread recognition and fame. When discussing brands known exclusively to the super-wealthy, Brunello Cucinelli undoubtedly stands out. At 2Men, we have curated a meticulously chosen collection of the most exceptional Brunello Cucinelli pieces. Renowned as the “King of Cashmere,” the brand is celebrated for producing some of the finest cashmere sweaters globally.
Does old money aesthetic men’s style differ from just wearing expensive clothes?
Embracing the “Old Money” style entails valuing timeless elegance above fleeting fashion trends. It goes beyond simply wearing expensive garments and emphasizes the importance of high-quality materials, impeccable fit, and an understated sense of refinement.
What color palette is typically associated with the ‘Old Money aesthetic men’ style?
The ‘Old Money’ aesthetic typically leans towards a color palette dominated by neutral and earthy tones. This includes hues such as white, black, beige, navy, and brown.